An Indian Summer Cooler, Aam Panna or Kairi Panna is made from the pulp of raw mangoes, sugar and delicately spiced with cumin, cardamom & other spices.
Summers in the north of India are harsh with mercury rising to 48+ degree Celsius in the month of June. To have relief from the scorching sun, various homemade summer coolers are popular among the crowd. Aam Panna, with its distinct sweet and sour taste is one of the favorites. This tasty and healthy beverage when prepared at home has a clean ingredient list, free from synthetic colors and artificial flavors.
Today, I’ll be sharing with you the recipe for Aam Panna Concentrate that you can prepare at home with ease and store for up to a week in the refrigerator for later consumption. (p.s. – with its spectacular taste, you won’t be able to stop at one. lol !)
Serving: 8 glasses
Time: 30 mins.
- Raw Mangoes – 500g
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Cardamom Powder – 3 pods
- Roasted Cumin Powder – 2 tsp
- Black Salt – 2 tbsp
- Regular salt – 1 tsp
- Water – 2 cups (approx.)
- Mint leaves and fennel powder could also be added if you like. (optional)
- Wash and peel the raw mangoes, cut them into pieces and add them to a wok.
- On low to medium flame, cook the mango with 1 cup of water(approx) and a little salt to keep the mangoes from sticking to the base of the pan/wok.
- Cook the mangoes till they get soft and mushy and then, turn off the flame to let them cool down. You may also pressure cook them if you prefer.
- In a separate pan, add 1 cup sugar and 1 cup water and heat them to form a one string sugar syrup.
- Once the sugar syrup is ready, turn off the flame and let it cool down.
- When the mango pulp and sugar syrup are at room temperature, sieve mango pulp into the syrup smoothly and add the dry spices – cumin, cardamom and fennel powder along with black salt.
- Mix the concoction and cook it on low heat for another 5-7 mins. till the concentrate starts to thicken.
- Cool it down and transfer into a air tight glass container and store it in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- To make Aam Panna from this concentrate, take 2-3 tbsp for a glass and mix in water, ice and some fresh mint. Serve chilled.
You have to try this one for its superb taste will tickle your taste buds such you won’t be able to stop at one glass. 🙂
Leave your feedback or questions in the comments box, I shall get back to you at the earliest.
Have a delicious day !