With the mercury rising, a summer menu is much needed. Besides salads, sherbats, juices and smoothies, something for the sweet tooth had to be shared that gets prepared easily, without any heat and helps you cool off in the summer heat. Thus, I am here with a recipe !
A traditional Indian sweet made with hung curd and flavored with fragrant spices, Shrikhand, is extremely popular in the western regions of India, Gujarat and Maharashtra.
Shrikhand is a good source of calcium, phosphorus and Vitamins B1, B2 and B12. The homemade versions are healthier as they are prepared fresh, free from preservatives and the level of sweetness can be adjusted from person to person.
Let’s begin with this mousse like, creamy and rich recipe that has a melt in the mouth feel and a phenomenal flavour of spices like cardamom and saffron.
Serving: 1 Bowl
- Hung Curd – obtained from 400g plain curd
- Cardamom powder – 3 pods
- Powdered sugar – 2 tbsp or as preferred
- Saffron – few strands soaked in water/milk
- Sliced Almonds – 10
- Sliced Pistachios – 10-12
- Silver Foil – for garnish (optional)
- Strain 400g plain curd in a muslin cloth overnight or for 5-6 hours atleast to obtain hung curd. Alternatively, you can opt for Greek yogurt to skip this step. I have made using hung curd.
- Now, it is a one bowl recipe. Take the hung curd in a bowl and add powdered sugar, saffron, cardamom powder to it and combine gently. The sugar will bring out the creamy texture of the yogurt, so mix it till the thick curd attains a light and mousse like consistency.
- Gently fold a part of the sliced nuts into the creamy and mousse textured Shrikhand.
- Refrigerate the Shrikhand well before serving.
- For garnish, I went with the remaining sliced almonds and pistachios, saffron strands and silver foil. You can even add fresh pomegranate seeds or dry fruits of your choice.
** Multiply the contents for larger quantities.
Relish this homemade Shrikhand as a dessert or pair it up with some puffed puris for breakfast. I’ll be waiting to hear your experience trying this one.
Stay fresh and hydrated this season!
More on: @TheContentSpace