‘Oh ! How we love the crunch and munch of the finger licking snacks ?!’
But do you realize, Indian Namkeens and street snacks are mostly all deep fried and when it comes to managing weight, these could be a reason for the downfall for all diet plans. Been there, so I always go back to these healthy snack recipes in times of conscious meal planning.
Planning a good home cooked and balanced BLD isn’t the challenge, but fixing the 4 pm snack is. The late afternoon hunger pangs need to be addressed with equal attention. Grab a fruit on the go, munch on some nuts are great; but if like me, you too love the flavorful savory snacks, I have a solution here !
Makhanas or Fox Nuts, this superfood with low GI is very versatile and can be prepared ‘n’ number of ways. This is the second blog post I am curating with Makhanas for they are so good; click here for flavored makhanas. Today, I share with you the trail mix recipe I often prepare for my family and hope you’ll enjoy it as a game snack or munch through your favorite series.
Let’s get started !
- Makhana/Fox Nut – 1.5 cups
- Peanuts – 2 tbsp
- Cashew nuts – 10 pieces
- Curry Leaves – 10-12
- Roasted Cumin Powder ( Jeera powder)- 1/2 tsp
- Red Chili Powder – 1/2 tsp
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Dry Mango Powder(Amchoor) – 1/2 tsp
- Black Pepper Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Powdered sugar – 1 tsp
- Salt – as per taste
- Ghee/Olive Oil – 2 tbsp
- Start by dry roasting the fox nuts in a wok on low heat for about 10 mins or until they are crunchy.
- Next, dry roast the peanuts and cashew nuts in the wok 4-5 mins or till they start to get a slight brown color and take them out on a plate.
- For the tempering or tadka, heat 2 tbsp of oil in the wok and turn the heat on low so that the masalas don’t burn.
- First add the curry leaves and let them crackle, then add all the dry spices with sugar and salt.
- Quickly toss the makhanas/fox nuts, peanuts and cashews into the spice mix. Mix everything well or 3 mins or so and take it off the flame.
- The trail mix or makhana namkeen is ready for you to gorge on any time of the day.
I would love to hear from you when you prepare it. Do share !
For more recipes on flavored Makhanas/ Fox nuts, clickhere.