Starting the day with a bowl of oatmeal makes sure that I proceed my day with energy. Breakfast for me is vital; it makes or breaks my productivity, so I make sure to have a good one before starting off for the day. Oats are among the healthiest grains available to us. Not only are they rich in fiber, vitamins, minerals and antioxidants, but in protein and fat than most grains.
This gluten free grain is high in soluble fiber called beta-glucan that helps in maintaining cholesterol and blood sugar levels, promotes healthy gut bacteria and increases feeling of fullness. The slow release of sugar and carbs gives energy for hours and you feel full for longer.
Oatmeal is generally prepared for breakfast with water or milk. It is basically warm porridge. Now, there is a variety of flavours and a whole lot of fruit & nut combinations that you may add to your oatmeal. I am sharing a ‘vegan & no refined sugar’ variant that I make at home.
- Rolled Oats – 1 cup
- Banana – 1
- Pitted Dates – 4-5 pcs
- Almond Milk – 1.5 cups
- Cinnamon powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
Recipe Instructions :
- In a saucepan, dry roast the oats for 2-3 mins.
- Once the oats are fragrant pour almond milk carefully (it might splutter). Stir well, cover the pan and let them cook till the oats look mushy.
- Add sliced banana, pitted and cleaned dates, cinnamon powder and a pinch of salt and stir everything well. If the oatmeal looks thick add 2 tbsp of milk/water and mix it.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes to the point where bananas and dates get soft and can be mashed into the oatmeal. And, it is ready. Cooking bananas with oats imparts flavour and makes it creamy.
- Now, you can add sugar/ honey/ jaggery to the oatmeal if you like it sweet. I prefer the naturally sweetened version so, happy with bananas & dates.
- The last thing I do is to add some chopped nuts/dried fruits/fresh fruits/nut butter/ seeds /cacao nibs, whatever I have at hand to make it a whole meal.
You can refer the images below to see how I garnish my Oatmeal Bowls for breakfast. I know you will give this healthy recipe a try and share your feedback.
Leave your comments or questions in the comments box and I will get back to you.
Have a nice day ! 🙂