It is that time of the year again when every one starts falling in love with Pumpkin spiced lattes, when the dried yellow leaves cover the green grass like a blanket and when there is a slight chill during the long walks at night. Ladies and Gentlemen, autumn season is here and so are Pumpkins which means we eat more of this nutritious vegetable and not just use it for Autumn/Halloween decor.
Pumpkin aka Kaddu (or Sitaphal or Petha) Halwa is a sweet preparation more like a pudding that is enjoyed by many families in different regions of our country and I am pretty sure some of you reading this might have tasted an authentic recipe. The one I have for you on the blog today is slightly different as you’ll find out. The only reason this happened was because preparing this dish was an impromptu decision and I made the best use of what was available to me and it worked like magic !
Read on the set of instructions below to prepare this mouth watering recipe. Also, I have mentioned it in the points how you can make it rich and authentic, so you can totally customize it as per your liking.
*Do not hold any prejudice against the innocent Pumpkin, I am sure you’ll love this Halwa !
- Pumpkin (peeled & grated) – 400g
- Ghee/Clarified Butter – 3 tbsp
- Green Cardamom Pods (powdered) – 4
- Toned Milk* – 1 cup
- Sugar** – 1/2 cup
- Saffron (optional)
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tsp
- Almonds & Cashews (chopped) – 5 each
*To make it more like a traditional Indian Halwa, substitute Toned Milk with Khoya(Milk Solids) or Full Fat Milk which will make it rich and creamy. But, if you have toned/cow’s milk available at home, it works well and you can relish an extra tbsp of the halwa without feeling heavy on the guilt.
** Add less or more sugar depending upon your taste preference.
Recipe Instructions :
- Cut, peel, wash and grate red pumpkin first.
- Now, take a wok/Kadhayi and heat 3 tbsp of Desi Ghee and add the grated pumpkin to it. Keep the heat low at this point as due to the moisture in pumpkin there can be spluttering.
- Cover and let the pumpkin cook on a low flame in the steam till it gets soft and squishy. Since, the pumpkin was grated, this won’t take long.
- Add Turmeric powder and cook that for a minute before pouring in the cup of milk(plain/saffron milk).
- Stir it around, add the cardamom powder and sugar. The sugar will make the pumpkin release its moisture so cook till that dries up.
- Let it all come together to the point where the Halwa releases the Ghee. This is your cue that the halwa is ready !
- The final step I did was to heat 1 tsp of Ghee and saute sliced almonds and cashews till they get a little color.
- Garnish with the nuts or simply mix the nuts into the halwa/pudding and serve hot.
It is a beautiful dish and one cannot tell its made with pumpkin flesh if there is a blind taste test. The cardamom, saffron and nuts change the entire game and you get all the nutrition of the vegetable with that palatable taste.
I am hoping you would give it the same love that you shower on your Pumpkin Lattes. Give it a go and do leave your feedback.
*** Autumn Love ***